Saturday, June 4, 2016

DT300S beats R2-D2

There is so much crap on the market these days that when you come across a superior piece of gear you just have to stop and celebrate it. In this case, I am celebrating the retirement of the Hitachi DT300S deep well pump. I can’t remember when we installed it. At least seven years ago, maybe more. All that time it just kept chugging away without complaint.
It finally gave up the ghost. Can’t say I blame it. We have a less than optimal water system at the farm. Our well is 50 meters in back of the house. Most of that time DT300S stood out in the wind and rain. I built a pump house only last year. Maybe it pined for wind under its cowling.
The well itself is about 15 meters deep. DT is rated for up to 18. Then it had to push the water those 50 meters to the yard and up about two meters to the taps. The spec says a 10 meter head so not a problem. I don’t have a tank so every time someone turned on a tap they turned on the pump. How many hundreds of times did that little champ power up I wonder?
Having a well that far away wouldn’t be so much of a problem if it was on our land, but the pump house is in the sister-in-law’s rice paddy. That means a buried pipe so the buffalo don’t roam all over it. That happened a few times. And come rice planting time, someone always manages to whack it with a hoe. Last year I buried the power line as well. We had 250 meters of two strand copper line go walkies from the other field last year so I thought a ditch in time was warranted.
The last few months I have had to go out and prime DT with increasing frequency. I think something was overheating and it would cut out and all the water in the pipe would drain out. That’s not a sustainable system, so I finally drove to Global House in Udon for a replacement. And thank you Hitachi you are still making that pump! DT300GX is out there now chugging away as my darling waters the garden. I promise I’m putting in a tank.
As for the old DT, I’m thinking of having it bronzed.

No comments:

Post a Comment